Pages

Jul 19, 2011

Fledglings

One of the joys of the new arrangement of feeders is that I get to see all the young birds coming to feed with their parents.  My yard has been filled with Mourning Doves, Chickadees and House Finches.  Every time Phoebe and I step out onto the porch we flush a half dozen or more of each.  I especially enjoy the young doves.  They are smaller and plainer than the adults and are a bit less flighty.  Talk about not flighty, the young chickadees are very gutsy, coming to the feeders right next to where I'm working.  The water features on the porch also attract them all to the area outside my patio doors.  Much to Phoebe's unending frustration the water also attracts squirrels - squirrels who ignore her barked warnings to stay off her porch.  One fledgling raises mixed emotions; a young skunk has been snooping around lately.  Mike and Phoebe had a rather close call the other night.  Thanks to the leash and Mike's reflexes, Phoebe did not manage to make a closer acquaintance with the skunk.  The skunk's scent is driving Phoebe to distraction during our walks.  At least, that's what I think has her dashing around sniffing every blade of grass and stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment