Pages

Aug 29, 2011

Spikenard

The first time someone suggested I add Spikenard, Aralia racemosa, to my garden I couldn't imagine where I would place such a large plant. Reaching 4 feet or more in height and spread, it seemed like a giant compared to my garden spaces.  Like most of my native plants, I bought this one at CNC's native plant sale.  I passed on it the first year, but gave in to it's siren call the next year.  I knew I wouldn't be able to move it once it was planted.  Its deep taproot meant I had only one shot.  A denizen of eastern woodlands, it would only be comfortable in the shade near the carport.  So, in it went, and up it has gone.  The first year it put on little new growth, at least above ground.  I'm sure its energy went into its roots.  The second year the plant quickly reached two feet tall and put out a few clusters of small green flowers.  The flowers are not showy at all, but they are followed by tiny berries that ripen from red to deep purple.  That year I had to tie the plant to a stake to hold it upright under the weight of those berries.  Each year since it has become more robust and much larger.  This year it is four feet in every direction, covered with large clusters of flowers quickly becoming berries.  Native Americans found many uses for this plant, including lung problems.  The roots were once used to flavor root beer.  This spring I found a couple baby plants growing in the gravel along the carport.  I've potted them up for sharing with friends.  Spikenard has become a treasured member of my garden family, its rapid growth in the spring, luxuriant summer foliage and rich clusters of fall berries usher in each season with grace.
I took some more pictures of the Spikenard now that the berries are ripe.  The clusters are so heavy I had to tie up the stalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment