Pages

Sep 15, 2011

Grey Headed Coneflower

I've always had a fondness for daisy and sunflower blooms.  There is something so simple and friendly about them.  I like to imagine a smiling face on each one.  Ratibida pinnata has the added charm of drooping petals.  I first made their acquaintance in the parking lot of the CNC Visitor's Center.  The lemon yellow petals drooping around the grayish green center are captivating.  They look like bits of ribbon stirring in the breeze.  The flowers are held on nice long wiry stems perfect for cutting (although I rarely cut the flowers in my garden).  The plant growing behind my shed is about 4 feet tall, the average height.  It shows no sign of spreading and the birds must eat the seeds before they have a chance to increase the patch.  The leaves are pinnately compound in a pleasant green.  The central cone emits an anise-like scent when crushed.  Even though my plant has not self sown, it is said to be easy to propagate after a 30 day cold stratification.  You can either refrigerate the seeds or plant them out in the fall so they spend the winter outside.  Ratibida has proven to be a trouble free addition to my native garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment