Pages

Nov 4, 2011

Putting the Garden to bed

One of the greatest joys for me as a gardener is the direct connection to the changing seasons.  Gardeners in the north have to come to terms with a finite growing season.  While our comrades in the south and on the west coast may enjoy 12 months of growing, here in Michigan winter inevitably follows fall, and frost eventually wipes out all those tender plants.  Most years, the first killing frost comes around the end of October or early November.  By then, I'm ready to put things to bed for the winter, and even enjoy the tasks of pulling up the now dead plants I spent five months tending.  By now I have harvested plenty of tomatoes and know which varieties I will grow again next year (not Pearly Pink - too bland and mealy for my taste).  I realize that the four tomatoes I planted were too close together and next year will go in the planter boxes that housed my pumpkins and gourds.  The hot peppers were fun, but how many does one person need.  Next year I want to try some of the heirloom sweet peppers.  The cukes at work did so well I'm inspired to grow some at home next year.  My poor showing on the basil planting inspired me to amend the bed they were in this year - the soil was very heavy and compacted.  I hope to get some minor spring bulbs planted this weekend for early color next year.  I've also collected seed from some of my natives.  Most native seeds need a cold spell before they will sprout, so I will set up some flats to winter over.  They ones I planted last fall did very well.  I like to leave some of the plants standing for the winter.  Their stems add interest, and the winter finches feed on the seeds.  There are a few, however, that I won't leave.  Boneset and tick trefoil both self sow much to vigorously to leave in the garden.  The asters, goldenrods and sunflowers all provide winter food, and any seedling that some up and easy to move and welcome in other places.  My neighbor has left a pile of chopped leaves for me to use as mulch and soil amendment.  Tomorrow's forecast promises plenty of fall garden work.

No comments:

Post a Comment