Pages

Dec 22, 2011

Solstice Dreams

At 12:30 AM this morning we celebrated the Winter Solstice, the moment when the Suns' path crosses the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere.  This is its southern most point and marks the longest night in the northern hemisphere.  Many refer to the Winter Solstice as the first day of winter, while to others it is mid-winter.  I'm a mid-winter guy, counting Samhain (Oct 31/Nov1) as the beginning of winter.  I spent the evenings on either side of the Solstice at CNC hoping to spot one of the otters seen recently around Six Island Pond.  No otters, but the muskrats were active, and a juvenile Bald Eagle flew over.  The warm weather we've experience so far this winter has been a boon for my heating bill, but the lack of snow is a little disappointing.  I'm looking forward to more snowshoeing this winter, but Snow is the operative word.   However, it makes it easier to imagine the spring to come.  I've planted a few flats of native seeds and they are tucked in under the front steps where I know I can get to them in the spring.  I cut some plants back and left others for the birds.  The evergreen herbs like sage, lavender, hyssop and rue are looking weak and wilted, but I know they will perk up in the spring.  The bulbs I planted rest beneath the dark soil, holding the promise of color in March and April.  Plans for next year's garden simmer in my mind, along with planned birding trips, wild flower walks and another summer at the CNC Homestead and Heritage Garden.  I'd like to try the new "bare foot" shoes and do more trail walking.  I've never been bothered by the long nights of winter.  In fact I revel in the slower pace and excuse to spend more time reading and dreaming.  One drawback is that it leaves me only about an hour a daylight after work so trips to CNC etc are pretty limited.  With the outdoor garden put to bed I content myself with indoor gardening.  The Dendrobium orchids have been blooming since I brought them inside two months ago, and the Phalenopis in the kitchen window has just begun to open it's dark rose blossoms.  I've been very please with the success I've had with these two, but my wish to to grow Paphiopedilums, the lady slipper types.  I've tried a couple times with no luck.  The jugs I filled from the rain barrel will carry most of the plants through.  I make sure to reserve it for the orchids since they are more sensitive to city water than some of the others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment